Friday 14 October 2011

Add it up

 Here are my cpd23 inspired behaviours:
  • organized a social/networking event for library staff from two different types of libraries (public and academic) located near each other. Event happens in November, so will report back on its usefulness. This required a bit of courage and carefulness over workplace political issues. Hopefully I have negotiated them correctly and if not will fall back on "bull in a china shop American" excuse.
  • tweeted and blogged regularly, rather than only taking information from the stream. I will probably discontinue the blog, but will continue tweeting. The experience was valuable as I will become active in social media on behalf of my organisation this year.
  • not sure about the chicken and egg here, but cpd23 encouraged me to apply for an Umbrella sponsorship as I was aware of Twitter cpd23ers who planned to attend.
  • reengaged with podcasting. Armed with knowledge from Thing 18, I've worked with my manager to map out a way to build organisational expertise in creating quality recordings from live talks in the library.
  • went back to my Google Reader account. I will add and delete feeds regularly and read weekly as I enjoy the mixed bag of mail on my doorstep - Succentorship without Sneers' writing, the cartoons of BitBookish and ridiculous high heel fetish of The Sartorialist among others.
  • shared the good news about cpd23 in my workplace. At least one person has started cpd23 since then and I've been approached about mentoring.
  • become more feisty and informed about library-related political and regulatory issues. I've enjoyed listening to newer voices in librarianship and educating myself through the open debates around advocacy, volunteers and publishing.
While cpd23 distracted me a bit from working to the letter of my PPDP for chartership, it has pushed me into exploring technology and testing practical library applications for technology. The other aspect of cpd23 is social; cpd23 has encouraged me to connect virtually and face to face with a wider range of library people.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you've done a lot as a result of cpd23 - congratulations! Thanks for sharing your journey through this blog, it's been an interesting read :)

Janice said...

Yes thanks for sharing your journey. I first checked in on you in June when I was doing my Thing 1. I finished Thing 23 some days ago and am still reflecting on what next.

Lauren said...

@erin, thanks for the comment on the blog - my earlier cpd23 posts were more carefully written, but I'm trying to keep some momentum going! let me know if you're going to another London meetup...

@Janice I've been following your blog as well; I particularly like reading your thoughts on books written while you're reading them. Congratulations on finishing cpd23