Sunday 2 October 2011

hardcore cpd23'ers only - Thing 14, referencing software

Doggedly devoted to each and every Thing, I surveyed the blogs of academic librarians and student cpd23'ers and decided to download Mendeley. It took an hour or two to understand the options in Mendeley. By the end of my trials I was able to import PDFs and their reference data from the web at large and academic journals (via CILIP). I could also collect reference data only by copying the DOI (digital object identifier). The Watch folder makes the procedure seamless as you can toss anything you're reading into the folder on your desktop and Mendeley picks out the reference information while running in the background.
There was a payoff - I've realized that Mendeley is a good way to organize my chartership background reading and then pop out a reference list when I'm ready. While I don't plan on having 100+ references in my chartership portfolio, now I understand how other people have amassed such lists!

No comments: